The Use of Anterograde Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty Balloons in Congenital Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction: A Cost-Effective Alternative to the Traditional Dacryoplasty Balloons
Bothra, Nandini; Gupta, Nishi; Nowak, Rafal; Ali, Mohammad JavedRead More
To assess the efficacy of commonly available coronary angioplasty balloon catheters as a low-cost alternative to the traditional dacryoplasty catheters in select patients of congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction.
A prospective, interventional study was performed between July 2018 and December 2018 in children with congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction, who underwent balloon dacryoplasty using the coronary angioplasty balloon catheters (2.75 × 10 mm, SPALNO, Cardiomac, Haryana, India). The inclusion criteria were children ≥4 years of age, and/or previously failed probing and/or previous failed intubation. Parameters documented were demographics, techniques, costs, complications, and postoperative outcomes.
Twenty-three eyes of 22 children underwent balloon dacryoplasty using coronary angioplasty balloon catheters. The mean age of the patients was 4.33 years (range 1.5–10 years). The procedure was performed in 8 patients (8 eyes, 35%) as the primary procedure. The remaining 14 patients (15 eyes, 65%) had a history of probing, of which 4 eyes had it twice earlier. All eyes underwent balloon dacryoplasty as per standard protocols. The insertion profile and trackability of the coronary catheters were good. At a mean follow up of 6.17 months (range 1.5–9 months), anatomical and functional success was obtained in 87% cases (n = 20/23). No lacrimal passage trauma or injuries were noted during the procedure. The cost of coronary balloon catheter was approximately $60.
The present pilot study has shown that outcomes of balloon dacryoplasty in patients with congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction with coronary balloon catheters is comparable to that of traditional balloons and offers significant economic advantage for developing nations.