Rajat D Maheshwari, Maanvi Maheshwari
Purpose: Pigtail probe as a procedure of choice for canalicular laceration. Methods: Retrospective, consecutive interventional case series of patients with eyelid laceration involving the canaliculus undergoing repair. All patients were subjected to repair with pigtail probe as first choice and only if this was not possible, they were repaired by other method. Outcome was analyzed in terms of cosmetic, functional, and anatomic success. Results: A total of 35 patients (mean age, 10.88 years) underwent eyelid and canaliculus repair by a single surgeon (RM). In all, 32 (91.42%) canalicular lacerations were repaired by annular intubation using a pigtail probe, while the remaining 3 (8.58%) lacerations in which pigtail probe intubation was not possible, were repaired by an alternative method. Upper canaliculus was involved in 6 (17.14%) and lower canaliculus in 29 (82.86%) eyes. Mean follow-up was 8.2 months (range 3–13 months). Intubation tubes were removed after at least 3 months (range 12–20 weeks). None of the patients had complaints of epiphora. All the patients had good cosmesis, anatomic alignment and functional success as assessed by dye disappearance test in younger children and lacrimal irrigation in older children and adults. Conclusion: Bicanalicular annular repair with pigtail probe achieved excellent functional and cosmetic results. The loop minimizes the chances of extrusion of the tube, maintains natural anatomic alignment of the cut ends of the canaliculus and thus retains the integrity of the delicate canalicular system. Pigtail probe intubation can be considered as the first choice in canalicular lacerations.
Manpreet Singh, Manjula Sharma, Manpreet Kaur, Aditi Mehta Grewal, Deepti Yadav, Sabia Handa, Sonam Yangzes, Zoramthara Zadeng, Pankaj Gupta
Purpose: To study the clinical presentation, nasal endoscopic features, and outcomes of nasal endoscopy guided (NEG) bicanalicular intubation (BCI) in children with complex persistent congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction (pCNLDO). Methods: A prospective, interventional study including eligible children (age ≤ 12 years) having complex pCNLDO. The demographics, number of previous probings, nasal endoscopy findings, and outcomes; were noted in all children who underwent NEG-BCI with Crawford’s stents. Matting of eyelashes (MoE, upper, and lower eyelid), tear-film height (TFH), and fluorescein dye disappearance test (FDDT) was assessed pre and postoperatively. The minimum stent in-situ period was 12 weeks, and the minimum follow-up was 6 months (after stent removal). Results: Total 32 children (36 eyes) including 18 females (56.25%) were studied. At a mean age of 4.9 years, all children had epiphora and discharge with MoE (both upper and lower), raised TFH and positive FDDT. Previously, all children underwent conventional probing (s)- once in 12 (33.3%), twice in 18 (50%) and thrice in 6 (16.7%) eyes. The general ophthalmologists performed the majority (n = 21, 58.33%) of those. The BCI was performed under GA in all eyes, and at a mean follow-up of 8.5 months, the “complete” success was noted in 29 eyes (80.5%), ‘partial’ success in 4 (11.1%) and failure in 3 (8.3%). The stent prolapse was seen in three. Conclusion: NEG-BCI may provide a satisfactory resolution to complex pCNLDO after single or multiple failed probings. NEG provides confident and efficient management of coexistent intranasal complexities related to the inferior turbinate and meatus.