Frontalis Linkage Without Intraoperative Eyelid Elevation for the Management of Myopathic Ptosis
Diniz, Stefania B.; Akaishi, Patricia M.; Cruz, Antonio A. V.Read More
To report the effect of frontalis linkage without intraoperative eyelid elevation for the management of myopathic ptosis.
Retrospective analysis of 21 (42 eyelids) myopathic patients with bilateral ptosis who were operated between 1999 and 2017. All patients had orbicularis weakness and poor or absent Bell’s phenomenon. Surgery consisted of using an autogenous fascia sling to link the tarsal plate to the frontalis muscle without any degree of intraoperative eyelid elevation. The main outcome measures were margin reflex distance, brow height and degree of brow excursion and degree of lagophthalmos, and exposure keratitis.
After surgery, there were significant changes (p <0.0001) in both margin reflex distance and brow position. Mean margin reflex distance increased to 1.4 mm ± 1.34 DP and with full frontalis contraction, it reached 3.0 mm ± 1.73 DP, while mean brow position decreased 1.6 mm ± 1.59 SD, p < 0.0001. Postoperative lagophthalmos was not detected in 31 (74%) eyes. In the remaining 11 eyes (26%), lagophthalmos ranged from 1.2 to 5.2 mm (mean = 1.7 mm ± 0.74 DP). Mild inferior superficial keratitis was detected in 14 eyes (33.3%) of 7 patients only 3 of which had lagophthalmos. One patient needed additional surgery to correct unilateral eyelid retraction. Overall, 81.81% of the patients were pleased with the procedure.
Myopathic ptosis can be alleviated with a minimal amount of lagophthalmos by just linking the tarsal plate to the frontalis muscle without lifting the eyelid margin intraoperatively.