Lower eyelid tension balance reconstruction: A new procedure for the repair of congenital epiblepharon with epicanthus
Ben Chen, Jia Liu, Jianxin Ni, Shengjie Zhou, Xi ChenlowRead More
Congenital epiblepharon with epicanthus (CEE) is a common eyelid malposition in Asian children, which generally involves the lower eyelid. The induced cilial entropion may cause constant ocular irritation that requires surgical repair. The purpose of this study is to report the outcomes and surgical details of a novel procedure, lower eyelid tension balance reconstruction (LETBR), for the correction of CEE.
Patients diagnosed with CEE underwent LETBR, which consists of modified half Z epicanthoplasty, and fixation between marginal orbicularis oculi muscle and lower eyelid retractor was reviewed retrospectively. The outcomes were classified as ‘good’ with no cilia-ocular surface contact, ‘fair’ with 5 or fewer asymptomatic cilia-ocular surface points of contact and ‘poor’ with most of the eyelashes remaining in contact with the eyeball. The surgical outcomes (good, fair or poor), recurrence and complications were evaluated.
One hundred and forty-nine eyelids of 78 patients (43 females and 35 males; mean age 6.6 ± 2.4 years, range 4–17 years) were evaluated in this study. The mean follow-up time was 14 months (range 9–24 months). At the last follow-up time, 144 of 149 eyelids were judged as ‘good’ (96.6%), the other 5 eyelids were judged as ‘fair’ (3.4%) and no eyelid was assessed with a ‘poor’ outcome. There were no significant complications or complaints about scarring on eyelids from patients or their parents.
LETBR is effective, safe and stable for patients with CEE.